The New Hanover County NAACP Parents’ Council is an arm of the New Hanover County NAACP Education Committee. It is made up of families, educators and other residents who share the goal of unbiased, equitable education for all children in our public schools.
- To educate and advocate for parents, families, and guardians of children in the New Hanover County public schools.
- To advocate for positive alternatives to end the unacceptable rates of suspension, seclusion and restraint in NHC elementary schools, which disproportionately affect students of color and special education students.
- To advocate for a redistricting plan which will re-integrate New Hanover County public schools, the only solution research shows will help reduce failing schools.
- For more information, to request an advocate or to join the NHC-NAACP Parents’ Council please email email@example.com
The Committee on Education shall:
- Seek to eliminate segregation and other discriminatory practices in public education
- Study local educational conditions affecting minority groups
- Investigate the public school system and school zoning
- Familiarize itself with textbook material therefrom which is racially derogatory
- Seek to stimulate school attendance
- Keep informed of school conditions and strive to correct abuses where found
- Investigate the effects of standardized and high stakes testing practices
- Teacher certification
- Promote parental involvement in education
- Aim to be a center of popular education on the race question and on the work of the Association.